Humboldt Research Fellowships are fully funded scholarships awarded to foreign students in Germany. Humboldt Research Fellowships are only awarded to scholars who want to embark on post-doctoral studies. The award covers a monthly fellowship of 3,150 EUR and added monetary assistance for accompanying family relatives and items.
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation creates supports exceedingly-qualified scientists and scholars from overseas who are just getting on with their academic careers, and scholars who finished their doctorates below four years ago to go spend stretched periods of research (6–24 months) in Germany.
The research framework is done in collaboration with academic hosts at research academic institutions in Germany. Candidates select their own topic of research and their host in Germany. Information of the research outline, as well as details on the envisioned length of the fellowship, must be agreed upon with the proposed host before applying. Short-period visits for learning and training purposes or for appearing at seminars are not qualified for sponsorship.
- Study Level: Post-Doctoral
- Institution(s): Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Country: Germany
- Available Courses: See the official webpage
- Duration of Program: Six to 24 months
- Deadline: Open throughout the year
Benefits of Humboldt Research Fellowships
Recipients of the Humboldt Research Fellowship will be offered the benefits below:
- Once-a-month sum of 2,670 EUR for postdoctoral researchers (doctorate accomplished in the last four years). Once-a-month sum of 3,150 EUR for postdoctoral researchers (doctorate accomplished in the last 12 years).
- A suitable beginning date, and for experienced researchers, the option of dividing the fellowship up into a maximum of 3 stays.
- One-on-one mentoring at the sponsorship period.
- Comprehensive German language course for participants and their spouses before the fellowship.
- Added monetary assistance for accompanying family relatives and expenses like travel costa and comprehensive alumni funding once the research stay has come to an end, such as a Return Fellowship or further stays in Germany.
Eligibility for Humboldt Research Fellowship
Candidates must satisfy the requirement below to be eligible for Humboldt Research Fellowship:
- Required Language: English or German
- Eligible Countries: All countries in the world
- Doctorate or equivalent academic degree (PhD, CSc or equivalent) acquired barely four years.
- Academic periodicals reviewed based to foreign standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing establishments.
- Endorsement that research facilities are accessible, mentoring agreement and a comprehensive professional’s statement by an academic host at a research institution in Germany.
- Professional reviews from the doctoral supervisor and another academic competent to give well-credible comments on the candidate’s qualification, if possible, including reviewers not working at the candidate’s own institution.
- Essential language skills: social sciences or humanities and medicine: German, or else a proficiency in English; natural sciences and engineering: proficiency in German or English.
- The Foundation expects that applicants will obey the Rules of Good Scientific Practice and the legally-binding ethics of scientific ethics at the time of the application and periods of sponsorship.
How to Apply for Humboldt Research Fellowship
To apply for Humboldt Research Fellowship, please follow the guidelines below:
- Applicants have to select two hosts (whether they are persons or institutes) in Germany and request their confirmation and review for the research from them. Note: if you selected the institution to be your host you have to schedule the duration of your stay.
- Below are documents that you have to provide:
- CV (maximum of two pages).
- Research outline (maximum of five pages).
- Comprehensive list of publications.
- List of selected key publications.
- Main publications.
- Doctoral certificate.
- If relevant, German language certificate.
- Host’s statement and confirmation of research facilities.
- Two professional reviews.
- Furthermore, where necessary: publishers’ letter(s) of acceptance and/or acknowledgment(s) of receipt and summaries or translations of the key publications.
To inquire further about Humboldt Research Fellowship, please visit the Official website.