University of Manitoba Fellowships are merit-based grants that are awarded and accessible to international students. All candidates must be persons who will be enrolled as full-time graduate students (Masters or Ph.D.) at the University of Manitoba. The scholarship is accessible be to them irrespective of their nationality or field.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies offers over $2 million dollars of University Graduate Fellowships (UMGF) every year to full-time graduate scholars (Master’s and Ph.D.) to promote academic excellence. It is offered to students who have displayed superior intellectual capability and academic achievement.
Study Level: Masters, Ph.D. Degree
Deadline: varies (yearly)
Course Begins: 2022
Host Institution(s): University of Manitoba, Canada
Available Programs: Any graduate degree programs available at the University (excluding the ones in the Faculty of Medicine and in the Master of Business Administration – MBA).
Target group: All students irrespective of their nationality are qualified to apply.
Benefits of University of Manitoba Fellowships
Beneficiaries of University of Manitoba Fellowships will be offered the benefits below:
- UMGF Master’s awards are estimated at a sum of $14,000 per annum for 12 or 24 months, up to a total of $28,000.
- UMGF Doctoral awards are estimated at $18,000 per annum for 12, 24, 36 or 48 months, up to a total of $72,000.
Eligibility for University of Manitoba Fellowships
To be eligible for University of Manitoba Fellowships, applicants must satisfy the requirements below:
- Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 3.75 (above B+) at an acknowledged university.
- Applicants must have been enrolled as a full-time student without provision or have cleared provisional admission as a Master’s or Ph.D. student in a graduate program at the University of Manitoba.
- All students regardless of citizenship are eligible to apply.
- The precise eligibility criteria of Departments may vary, please attempt to know that of the department you are applying to. It is essential to satisfy the precise eligibility conditions set by the Department/Faculty, if any.
- Eligible groups: Citizens of any nation (nationality / citizenship) are qualified to apply
How to Apply for University of Manitoba Fellowships
- Please communicate to your Department/Unit for the application procedure, and deadline.
- The moment the Department/Unit confirms their selection, students are recommended to the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Closing date differs per faculty.
- It is vital to check the official website (link found below) for comprehensive details on steps to apply for this scholarship.
- You can no longer download application forms for the UMGF and MGS from the “Graduate Award & Scholarship Forms” page. The UMGF competition is now being administered by the various departments / units. Thus, check with your department / faculty for details on how to be considered for a UMGF.
- Applicants who are qualified for the UMGF will also have their name added to the MGS competition.
- It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply.
DEADLINES: Application forms for this award are accessible from your department/faculty. Deadline dates are specific to the faculties.
NB: If you wish to apply for this fellowship, please write the department you are applying to and make a request that they forward an application form.
The chances of getting an award can vary greatly from year to year. The candidate pool switches every year and the number of awards provided can also differ. Students are heartened to apply for all awards for which they meet the application criteria. After all, you don’t have a chance of being granted funding if you don’t apply!
To inquire further about the University of Manitoba Fellowships, please visit the official websites.