Africa Excellence Scholarship has been established to attract high-performing international students to the University of Newcastle for study in 2022 and beyond. This is a merit-based scholarship that recognizes applicants with a strong academic background and incentivizes them to continue striving to be the best that they can be.
The scholarship is valued at AU$10,000 for each year of study under a full-time study load apportioned over each course taken, equating to a value of $1250 per course.
Historically, the University of Newcastle Medical School has implemented the problem-based learning system for its undergraduate Bachelor of Medicine program – a system later mandated for use by the Australian Medical Council throughout Australia. It pioneered use of the Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) in the early 1990s. UMAT has since been accepted widely by different medical schools across Australia as an additional selection criteria.
The University of Newcastle is a member of Universities Australia and the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
Eligibility criteria for the Africa Excellence Scholarships at University of Newcastle
To be eligible, you must;
- Hold a passport from one of the 54 countries of Africa.
- Be commencing study in an eligible undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree program at the University (excluding ELICOS, Enabling, Non-Award, and Higher Degrees by Research programs and programs delivered at offshore campuses).
- Be an International full-fee paying student.
- Be commencing in an eligible program at an Australian or Online campus as indicated in your Letter of Offer.
- Not be the beneficiary of a separate University scholarship unless prior approval for special dispensation has been obtained.
- Meet all of the financial obligations of a full-fee paying international student.
- Have to fulfill the University’s language requirements.
Eligible Countries: Africa
Type: Undergraduate or Postgraduate
Value of Award: $40,000
Number of Awards: 100
Eligible Field of Studies: Undergraduate or postgraduate in College of Engineering Science and Environment, Health Medicine and Wellbeing, Human and Social Futures.
Method of Application: To apply for this scholarship, students must be admitted to the University. Scholarships are automatically applied for upon application to the university.